Thursday, November 5, 2015

The Evolution of Hatred, or : How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Stupid People

Like Pascal, I too was once guilty of pitiƩ. I felt sorrow for the poor souls who were convinced of things that I absolutely knew to be untrue. College absolved me of this affliction.

Let me take a few steps back: when I had my political awakening in 2008, everything became apparent to me: I had a quantifiable means by which to measure righteousness, and anyone who didn't see eye-to-eye with me was clearly a hateful asshole. Anyone who didn't immediately offer a full-throated defense of the rights of immigrants, LGBT people, women, people of color, or any group who was a combination thereof must have considered all of the possible complicating and mitigating circumstances and taken a position in favor of the aggressive embrace of discrimination and oppression. Except, none of that was true.

I mean, I did have a political awakening... but like any newborn child, I knew nothing of this world which was completely foreign to me. I'm jumping the gun again here. In 2008, the United States was swept up in a whirlwind of hope, change, and hating fags. The young Senator Barack Obama was electioneering his way across the country, inspiring people who had never done so before to cast ballots in the presidential elections. Meanwhile, the National Organization for Marriage (deemed a “hate group” by the authoritative Southern Poverty Law Center) was working in states from coast to coast to approve anti-gay constitutional amendments through direct democratic mechanisms. On November 4, I was a volunteer poll monitor for the San Diego county Democratic party. I visited my polling place several times during the day to make sure that everything was working and I made a list of registered Democrats who had yet to show up, then called to remind them that it was election day. I bought coffee and umbrellas to bring to canvassers in my neighborhood (this was back when it actually rained in California.) I closely watched the news throughout the day, then gathered for a party with my friends where we watched results coming in from across the country. At around 7:30PM we got word that exit polls had California Proposition 8, the constitutional ban on gay marriage, narrowly passing. We all scrambled to call everyone we knew and remind them that, as long as they are in line by 8, they'll be able to cast their ballot. As the hour approached, we all silently crouched in front of the television. We knew that California would go for Senator Obama and that we would push him well over the winning threshold regardless of how the uncalled swing states in the East ended up. The moment that the clock struck 8, as CNN rolled a colorful graphic across the screen, the room erupted in a loud cheer. Around the courtyard in the large apartment complex, we could hear other groups celebrating. Our laughter, celebration, and shot-taking was momentary, though, as it became apparent that one of the most progressive states in the union had approved, by 52.24%, an amendment to our state constitution which specifically precluded millions of Californians from statutory marriage. Our group was overwhelmingly liberal and included several gay people, so the party mood took a quick turn from “bachelor party” to “funeral” and people started leaving soon after.

The post-mortem began right away, and anger amongst progressives was strong. Various people blamed Black voters for the passage of anti-gay marriage amendments in California, Florida, and Arizona, and a crop of nouveaux hashtag-activists pushed thinly-veiled racist ideas across their spheres of influence. For my part, I took a more direct approach and blamed the Christian set. I had seen evangelical megachurches actively promoting Proposition 8, and I was angry at their membership for abandoning the message of love championed by their saviour in favor of bizarre Old Testament morality rules. In my mind, these churches met in the dark of night, wearing white hoods, holding pitchforks and torches, around an altar illuminated by the headlights of their lifted Chevy pickup trucks. And I pitied them.

My imagination notwithstanding, I knew that the votes for Senator McCain and for Proposition 8 were cast by adult human beings who are thankfully guaranteed in practice the right to participate in American democracy. As long as they're not felons. Or women before 1920. Or Black people before 1965. Or Black people in Mississippi pretty much ever. But anyways, the 59,948,323 people who cast valid ballots for Senator McCain and the 7,001,084 people who cast valid ballots to exclude same-sex couples from civil marriage in California presumably didn't all march lockstep into their polling place, raise their right hands in a salute, fill in the appropriate ovals, and then torture an adorable puppy before pushing their grandmothers down a flight of stairs. 

I mean, I'm like 70% certain that they didn't do that. These people each had at least 18 years of life experience which informed their decisions and – as much as I wanted to believe that they were all insane or bigoted people whose positions could be marked up to a choice to be racist or misogynistic – I now know that that is not often the case. People's worldviews are informed by their values, which are in turn informed by their upbringing as well as their biology. A person who is raised in a White middle-class family in a White middle-class town in a White middle-class state may not have occasion to consider the humanity of non-White people. A person who is raised in a Southern Baptist family and who is socialized mostly with other children and families from their church may not have the opportunity to consider possibilities outside of those of their faith's dogma. It has been my experienced that, once a person's values are formed and reinforced by their surroundings, they are resistant to change. This is why I pitied the Klan archetype that I had previously imagined: because I thought that they were helpless, unable to have new experiences or to change their perspectives on the world, stuck in a sort of hell where everything is easily predictable and where change was impossible. I thought that millions of people were exactly alike, and that they were stupid and pathetic. In that way, I was like Pascal.

In rationalizing his wager, Blaise Pascal employs hollow tautologies which are reflective of the world and time in which he lived. Verse 229 cites the natural world as evidence of the existence of a God, which in itself isn't wholly irrational based on the observable evidence, but Pascal switches without explanation from speaking of “a God” in 229 to speaking of “God” in 230. He provides no mechanism or explanation for why the creator of existence must necessarily be the specific Christian god in which he believes. By asserting that our own existence, as a part of nature, is irrefutable evidence for the awesome power of the Christian god Abba, Pascal surely knew that he was in conflict with most other world religions who used existence to prove the superior power of their deity of choice. Brahmins, Allah, Abba... using our creation as proof that these gods created us, can be neither proven nor disproven.

In deriding atheists, Pascal espouses hatred for their disbelief. Hatred is a strong emotion and it seems to discourage critical thought, which is a tenuous position for a philosopher. To explain the apparent conviction of his faith, it might help to examine his surroundings. Living in France under Louis XIV, piety to Rome was unquestionable. With a monarch who decreed in 1685 that “we enjoin all of our officers to chase from our islands all the Jews who have established residence there,” a prominent thinker of the time might offer up praise of the state-approved religious figures and heap criticism upon their doubters in an effort to help ensure the favor of the kingdom. More than 350 years after his death, we'll probably never know whether Pascal's faith was meant to appease the state or whether it was sincerely-held.

My writing to this point suggests the evolution of my own belief system. I was born into a family that regularly attended mass at a Roman Catholic church in a small city in New Hampshire, and I did not question the doctrine until – ironically – I was required to study theology at my Catholic high school. Being taught in one classroom to understand how atoms are constructed and interact with one another, then switching to a different classroom where we were marked down for asking, ”why” led to a cognitive dissonance which I could not accept. I eventually decided that atheism was equally dogmatic because it flatly refused to accept the possibility of the existence of a higher power. Today, when the question comes up, I identify as a deist: I believe that something created the universe, but I reject any explanation that relies on faith or threats rather than evidence. I recognize my insignificance to the universe and understand that defending any such explanation would be embarrassingly arrogant.

By recognizing my own incompetence – which has been made much easier by studying at Sciences Po – I see that any offer of pity which I might make is in itself pitiful, because its sincerity would require that I be substantially superior to the person to whom it was offered. Do I really want to assert that, considering the vastness of the universe, I am really that much better than a human being who checked a box next to the name of the former governor of Alaska who once famously held up her executive control over the Aleutian Islands as evidence of her foreign policy experience?

In a quotation often misattributed to Mark Twain, American humorist Josh Billings wrote in 1874 that, “I honestly believe it is better to know nothing than to know what ain't so.” When I look around at all of the atrocities of the world, they seem to just about always be committed by actors who are absolutely certain of something what just ain't so, and so I elect to embrace my ignorance and not be bothered by the ignorance of others.


No comments:

Post a Comment