Saturday, November 7, 2015

Cowardliness is a Choice


For this weeks blog post I decided to focus on Sartre’s existentialism is a humanism. When we were first discussing what existentialism was in class I have to admit that I was very confused. The idea of being being created as a result of nothingness, really didn’t make much sense to me, and I left still very unsure of what existentialism actually was. However after reading Existentialism is a Humanism, I think I have a much firmer grasp of the philosophy and actually find myself liking with many of its tenets.

I really like the idea that existentialism presents that existence comes before essence. What I took this to mean from Sartre’s explanation is that before we are created our essence is nothing and doesn’t exist. It is only once we are In existence in the world, that our actions and choices that lead to our actions give rise to our existence as an individual. From this point, Sartre goes on to expound that one of the foundational tenets of existentialism is the idea that all men are responsible for their lives, and that we are condemned to having the freedom to choose in all things.

I really like this idea as I think it to be very true. Although there are events that occur outside of our control that affect our lives, we always have a choice of how to react to different situations. I think that people too often let their lives take a predictable track and don’t try to change their situation because they have resigned themselves to what they consider to be their ‘fate’. They often say they don’t have a choice when making a certain decision, and many of them believe this because they feel as though due to social pressures or other constraints, that they really don’t have a choice in certain decisions. However Sartre and existentialists say that this is false and no matter what the situation you always have a choice.

This idea has a great deal of appeal to me, as it essentially puts every person’s future back into their own hands. Your choices shape and define your life and existence, and just because you’ve made a similar series of decisions your whole life doesn’t mean that you have to keep on making the same sorts of choices. One very good example that Sartre presents of this is the idea of a coward or hero. Its very comforting for people to think that men are simply born a coward or a hero, as it negates their own ability to be one or not be the other. One can simply give in to fear and act cowardly without remorse if one truly believes that one is intrinsically a coward. Sartre says this is bull**** and that what defines a coward is a person’s choices to act in a cowardly manner. This makes sense to me, as in my life I have both done things that were cowardly and courageous. When I was younger, I found myself in many social situations when I have seen something that I didn’t agree with but many of my friends and peers supported. In the past I oftentimes wouldn’t say anything simply because I was too afraid of the reaction of those around me. However in other situations, namely more recently now that I am older, I have reacted differently and acted with courage by speaking out against things I didn’t agree with. Acting against the current when surrounded by your peers and being in the minority is indeed a difficult thing to do, and while not comparable to examples of courage in battle, is still in my mind proof of the ability for someone who has previously been a coward, to act with courage, thereby loosing the label.

One quote that I particularly liked within Sartre’s piece was regarding how a mans should address his anguish. Sartre says that in order to address his anguish he should ask himself: “Am I really the kind of man who has the right to act in such a way that humanity might guide itself by my actions?”

This quote plays into Sartre’s idea that all men are trying to be a god. They are trying to be self-sufficient and aspire to a form of perfect behavior and conduct. This idea of perfection is inherently impossible to achieve, and yet all men still strive towards it and it is the basis for what each and every man is, as all men are simply a combination of all their actions. I think that asking oneself this question is a useful exercise, as it seems an effective way for men to ensure that they act in a moral and righteous manner. To me I would say that ideally yes, a man should consider himself to have the right to act in such a way that humanity might guide itself by his actions, as this plays into the idea of constantly striving for a perfect completion of oneself. Although it is an impossible goal, the effort of striving for perfection is a useful exercise as it constantly pushes you to better yourself.

One thing I didn’t really follow was the section where Sartre writes:

“To choose to be this or that is to affirm at the same time the value of what we choose, because we can never choose evil. We always choose the good, and nothing can be good for us without being good for all.”


I’m assuming that this quote is part of a point Sartre is trying to make about man’s desire to strive for the good, but unfortunately I don’t think I understand what he is getting at. To me it seems as though he is saying that men don’t have the capacity to choose evil, and always think that what they do is good. However I don’t believe that his is the case, and I think that there are many instances when people do evil things knowing quite well that they are wrong. I’m sure that there is some deeper aspect of this point that I’m not getting so if anyone can help explain it to me it would be greatly appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. Jack,

    I enjoyed reading your reflections! I agree, the quote is a little puzzling : "To choose to be this or that is to affirm at the same time the value of what we choose, because we can never choose evil. We always choose the good, and nothing can be good for us without being good for all.”

    I think in the first half of the quote, Sartre is clarifying that a person's choices is a reflection of their values. I interpreted the rest of that sentence in a similar way. I think Sartre is indeed trying to say that by choosing to do something-- the choice being a reflection of our values -- the essence of the action is now considered "good." However, my question is is the choose deemed "good" by the person who is making the decision, or rather is "good" referring to a societal standard?

    ReplyDelete