Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Fanons philosophy


A personal experience related to discrimination

             While reading Fanon's work, I could not find it spectacular how he was able to fight for his rights that are now recognized all around the globe.

               At least for me, I find it curious how discrimination works...you see? when we are child's we do not care much about anything else than playing and it does not matter if our companion is black, yellow or brown.
            Personally, I lived my early life without knowing nor understanding what discrimination was: I remember,15 years ago, when I was 8 years old we went to live to Australia. I lived in Darwin in the Northen Territory and went to a school named St. Mary's; there I had a friend called Brook that wasn't white and was my best friend. I never had any kind of strange thought or anything. 

                Time passed and I had to move to Italy, there I had a friend called Talal that was from Pakistan, he suffered a lot from bullying because of his religion, skin tone and culture. My discrimination experience began the day I arrived to school with my fellow companion and a bunch of guys showed up and told me not to hang out with Talal because "he is from Pakistan". Latter that day I remember talking about Brook and I showed a picture...the kids where shocked and they asked me how could I be friends with a black girl! I recall going back home and asking my mother why they had told me that I shouldn't be friends. At 12 years old, my mom had to explain to me what discrimination was. 

               Another subject that we could discuss about discrimination is the fact that after so much repression comes libertine. there is not a balance and now there is positive discrimination. for instance, nowadays if you say that you are proud of being born gay, you rule, on the other hand, if you say that you are proud of being heterosexual, you are acting homofobic. Another example, if you say I am proud of being black everyone will clap, if you say I am proud of being white, you are the worst crap in the world. It also happens concerning political views, at least in Latin America, if you belong to the left you are a great person, if you belong to the right, you are a fascist or anti-democrat person....another examples would rely in religion, disability, national origin, weight, relationship status, etc.
 It actually sucks that the world is full of discrimination, and even thou we try not to do so, we usually discriminate in some extent.
                  
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment